Sunday, February 18, 2018

Finding More Time


I finally decided what I am doing for Lent, you know, that thing Catholics used to do (or do they still do it? I haven’t talked to any Catholics who give up something for Lent anymore). You can read about it on my other blog here, but in a nutshell, I’m cutting way back on my time on Facebook. It is such a time-drain for me, almost an addiction. I can spend an entire evening just mindlessly scrolling through the feed and before I know it, it is time to go to bed and I have accomplished nothing. Hopefully, I can now be more productive. I know I’ve been reasonably close to reaching my goals each week, but I really need to work on getting “The Truth Beyond the River” published.

Here are last week’s goals. Green highlight is goal accomplished, yellow highlight is goal at least worked on, red lettering is goal not even attempted.  

A. WRITING
1. Finish the chapter by chapter summary of “The Truth Beyond the River”. Worked on seven chapters.
2. Start writing a proposal submitting “The Truth”. Yes, started.   
3. Write three posts to the “Dino Chronicles”. Yes, done.

B. REACHING
1. Read five other blogs and comment on three of them. Read seven and commented on five.   
2. Query a literary agent about “The Truth”. Still working on that proposal, but I have chosen the first agent I’m going to contact.    
3. Promote “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” in one totally painless way. I sent personal messages about the book with my twelve newest LinkedIn contacts.  

C. READING
1. Read daily assignment in “Today’s Light” Study Bible. Yes.
2. Daily read “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee”. Yes, or I had until I got to the end of a chapter on Thursday, when I decided to give it a rest and read a lighter book, and then I read that one every day.  
3. Read daily devotion in “Jesus Calling”.  Yes.

D. REMAINING
1. Physical
a. Do something physical twice every day. Hmm? Again, I came pretty close.
b. Cut back on sweets. Nope, not really.
c. Increase water intake.  Every day at work, but when I am home that water bottle is not in front of me and I forget.
2. Home fires
a. Snap pictures of two dozen old photos. Yes.
a. Decide when and who will be going on trips this year.  My son Nick plans on going back to Kenya sometime in April. Right now no one else has offered to go with him, so if he doesn’t find someone, I guess he is on his own. Still not sure if I will be going in the fall. The people I have talked to all want to go in spring of 2019.  
b. But I did contact those people, sending them information and answering their questions via email.
c. Work on the procedure manual. Nope.
d. Post two items for sale on Etsy. Posted one item.

And what about next week.


A. WRITING
1. Finish the chapter by chapter summary of “The Truth Beyond the River”.
2. Finish writing the proposal for “The Truth”.    
3. Write three posts to the “Dino Chronicles”.
4. Outline the newest project I have had in my head. I know, what am I thinking? I know what I’m thinking – I’m thinking that a new group of characters have set up residence in my head, wanting me to tell their story and at least if I get something about them on paper (ok, in the computer), they will stop haunting me at night.  

B. REACHING
1. Read five other blogs and comment on three of them.  
            2. Send that finished proposal to that chosen literary agent.  
3. Promote “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” in one totally painless way.

C. READING
1. Read the daily assignment in “Today’s Light” Study Bible.
2. Daily read “Paw Enforcement”, a light novel I picked up a while back.
3. Read the daily devotion in “Jesus Calling”. 

D. REMAINING
1. Physical
a. Do something physical twice every day.
b. Cut back on sweets.
c. Increase water intake. 
2. Home fires
a. Snap pictures of two dozen old photos.  
b. Finish a little sewing project I started last week. 
a. Work on the procedure manual.
b. Post two items for sale on Etsy.

That’s it. How about you? Are you tweaking your goals? Are you finding new ways to be more productive?
This is the best find of the whole year.
My sister Pat, on the left, on her eighth birthday, me the admiring baby sister on the right. 

4 comments:

  1. Facebook can be quite consuming, especially as you tend to forget what you wanted to see in the first place. For me YouTube is even worse for that matter...
    Good luck on your Facebook detox then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem I'm having now. If I can't scroll through Facebook, I scroll through Pinterest. I'm trying my hardest though to just not look at any of it.

      Delete
  2. Looks like some good progress for the week.
    I don't have much of a problem with Facebook anymore. I stopped scrolling through too far a couple years ago, because I couldn't take all the hateful posts I'd see there. Just wondering what I'd see next made the experience not worth it. So I mostly just go there if I have notifications(and to post my RoW80 check-ins). Twitter is my time-suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another thing about Facebook - all the negativity. It also seems like that was where I got all my news, to which I always asked myself - how accurate is this?!
      I've never found much on Twitter, luckily. But there is always something out there to suck us in, isn't there.
      I'm trying.

      Delete