Sunday, July 12, 2020

Bad things come in 3's

This was another one of those weeks. One of those weeks, where you think, “What else is going to go wrong?”

I woke one morning to a tree down over the driveway, for no good reason. That night, however, we did have a thunderstorm, and lightning struck our satellite dish, knocking it out. And thirdly, Hubby ran into some medical problems, which has had him laid up since mid-week. (But at least it’s not COVID!) They say bad things come in threes, so I guess that’s where we are at. Until the next set of threes begins!

Here is the list of goals I had planned to work on last week. To make things easy, I color-code my accomplishments: Green highlight is goal accomplished, yellow highlight is worked on and red lettering is a failure. I do throw in a random highlight for something which doesn’t fall into those three categories, but I hate to commit to any more color.

1)    My novel, “The Truth Beyond the River
a.     The proof isn’t supposed to get here until the 13th, but on the off-chance it gets here sooner, I need to read it page by page as quickly as I can and submit the final approval to Amazon. Proof hasn’t arrived.
b.     Marketing. Oh, what shall I do?
                                                              i.     Continue blogging about it. Done, twice.  
                                                            ii.     Send out an email via Mail Chimp. Done.  
                                                          iii.     Make a list of who I need to send a copy to when I get my author copies. Done.
2)    Other writing
a.     “Holding all the Aces”, the memoir of my sister.
                                                              i.     I should read it over to see how much more work it needs. I’m thinking that while the whole Amazon publishing thing is fresh in my head, I should publish this too. It would be more as a family gift, but who knows. Did not look at it. And now I’m thinking that now is not the time, it’s not calling to me like another project is (see the upcoming goals).
b.     Research places to submit a couple of the short stories I’ve written recently. Actually, I not only researched and found an e-magazine, I submitted a short story to it. ๐Ÿ˜Š
c.      Submit the fantastic pictures of loons I took last month. Did not.
3)    Other stuff (this list used to be quite lengthy and complex, but I am going to try to keep it simple; I’ve got enough going on and it is summer!)                   
a.     If the weather is nice next weekend, put up the camper and clean it out to get it ready for our next camping trip. Done.
b.     Try to help Hubby organize our new garden shed. Not done.

Well, that looked like a mixed bag of accomplishments and failures. Like all the color? I know I should be shooting only for green and not the rainbow.

Goals for the coming week:

1)    My novel, “The Truth Beyond the River”.
a.     When the proof arrives, Monday or Tuesday, go through it quickly, page-by-page, making sure I didn’t miss any more mistakes.
b.     Resubmit the version I worked on last weekend, after I found four mistakes.
c.      Read that newest version through on-line and hopefully find no mistakes, so that I can do letter d.
d.     Release the paper version!!!
e.     Order my copies of it.
f.       Marketing. Finally, on to marketing.
                                                              i.     Continue blogging about it.
                                                            ii.     Send out another Mail Chimp email, announcing the paper version is ready.
                                                          iii.     Put the book in the sidebar of my blogs. 
2)    Other Writing.
a.     Pull out my next novel to write, the one where the government recruits common people to be spies. Now that “Truth Beyond River” is done, it’s time to write the next one.
b.     Continue researching places to send my short stories.
c.      Submit those pictures of the loons.
the garden shed
3)    Other Stuff
a.     Work on organizing the new garden shed.

b.     Start cleaning the spare room in the basement, in anticipation of the additions to the family – two baby kittens! Arriving after August 5! Two little girls named Timber and Ash. Cannot wait!
our last kittens, Alice and Ches

How is everything going for you? Taking some time off to just relax and enjoy the summer? Or stressing about all the things there are to stress about? I hope not! Hang in there. Better days are coming.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely stressing too, and wondering what else will go wrong. I hope things get better for you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete