Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Sparking your Imagination

   I can’t say that I made my goal of publishing my novel, “The Truth Beyond the River” by July 1. Yes, the e-version is available, but getting the print version ready for print has turned out to be much more exhausting than anticipated. But I’ll get there. Just one of the joys of totally publishing this myself.

I feel I need to tell you a little bit more about the story, though.

This tale began in my head when I was thirteen years old. I became engrossed in coverage by the local TV station of the takeover of the Alexian Brothers Novitiate in Gresham, a fortress-like building only one hundred miles from where I lived. Members of the Menominee Warrior Society claimed the building as their own on New Year’s Day, 1975, and my young imagination was sparked. I didn’t care so much about the politics or the history or the details; I just wanted to visit that building.

It would take me over forty years to cross the property line, to walk across the driveway overgrown with grass, to witness the grand old building long abandoned, burned out, vandalized. But those block walls had a story to tell. The Red River just past the big house whispered to me. Even the wind in the maples had something to add.

The people who had played out that event in 1975 were long gone, but new characters came to me, each with their own stories to tell. Tommy, the Native American Vietnam War vet. Teresa, a young reporter in way over her head. Cecil and Andrew, aging monks trying to find God in all the chaos. Beth, Ann, Jericho, Ed, Kent and Sheriff Bradley.

There is so much more I want to tell. But it will have to wait til next time.

I’ve shared pictures of that old house before, but I just want to show them to you one more time. And also, the original building and its 181 acres are for sale! Oh, please, some millionaire out there reading this, please, buy it and let me in on your dreams! (Check out the real estate listing by clicking here.)









2 comments:

  1. I would love to go with you someday to check it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the nerve to call the realtor for an official tour, but I am sure they get a lot of those calls and will only show it to you if they know you are legit.

      Delete