Friday, August 7, 2020

The Truth Beyond Teresa

Teresa turned the white sedan onto another highway, this one heading due north. She’d made it out of Chicago and across the border into Wisconsin. Once she got through all the toll booths, it had been smooth sailing.
            'How am I going to do this?’ She asked herself over and over again. ‘What was I thinking by even thinking I could be a journalist?’
She knew why.
She had just started high school—a thin, shy girl with long, black braids trying to fit in at another school. As a migrant worker, her mother moved the family frequently, keeping up with what crops were being harvested. Teresa had lost track of the schools she attended, the towns they had lived in. Most of the children of the migrant workers didn’t go to school at all, but Teresa’s mother insisted she get an education and make something of herself. At fifteen years old, she had no idea how she was going to make that happen.
She was in English class when the principal came over the PA system. In a shaky voice, he announced that the president had just been assassinated in Dallas. Shock flowed through the silent classroom like a wave on a calm beach. The English teacher started to cry. Several female students followed suit.
How could President Kennedy, so young and dashing, with two small children, be dead? Who would do such a thing?
Teresa looked at the clock.
Class would be out in a few minutes. It was a Friday afternoon. Dallas was only thirty-five minutes away. Maybe somehow, with someone, she could get a ride.
It had never crossed her mind before. In that one instant, Teresa felt as if her life was laid out before her. Her dream had always been to join the Peace Corps, but she had no desire to go into the medical field or teaching. But suddenly she had the answer. She would become a journalist for a big-city newspaper and cover big news—assassinations, wars, riots. She could make something of herself and help to make something of others.
As it turned out, she didn’t make it to Dallas that November day. A few years later though, she found herself in the big city attending college on a scholarship.

Teresa, the young and inexperienced journalist in my newest novel, “The Truth Beyond the River”, most likely, I suppose takes after me. I, too, had dreamed of joining the Peace Corps, and like Teresa, I had no idea as a high schooler what work I would do there. I never wanted to be a journalist, per se, but always wanted to be a writer. Fiction seemed so much more interesting than journalism.

Like me, she is shy and insecure, but has her inner strengths and sometimes blurts out things without thinking them through. Teresa also has a strong sense of right and wrong, is passionate for the underdog, and refuses to sit by while injustices occur. She is a gentle spirit.

One thing she learns through the experiences we read about in the book is that as a journalist her job is to get to the truth and to share it with her readers. I hadn’t thought of it as I was writing the book, but isn’t that what many of our news reporters are lacking in these current crazy times?

I don’t know where I came up with her first name, but Teresa’s last name, Estrada, was the last name of a writer friend of mine who moved away over twenty years ago and we lost touch. I did a web search of her a few years ago and found her obituary. It about broke my heart. Life is short; another lesson learned in my novel. 
On the day of my high school graduation, full of dreams of the future.
Or just hating to get my picture taken. 
 If you’ve already purchased a copy of the book, thank you from the bottom of my heart. If not, click on the link to get yours. Also, I’m still looking for reviews. And in case you are wondering, even negative reviews are welcome. Remember, the theme of the book is about sharing the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment