Sunday, August 9, 2020

When I have nothing


When I started this blog back in 2012, my plan was always to post a list of my goals here on Sundays (it started out on Wednesday also, but it didn’t take me long to realize that was unrealistic). I’ve had weeks where nothin’ was happening or where too much was happening, there were weeks when I was out of the country or out of my mind. But I always came back. And I probably always will.

That being said, I missed last Sunday because I just didn’t have it in me. This happens every time I publish a book and maybe it happens to others as well. All the hoopla and hard work, the excitement and the energy. And then the huge letdown, when there aren’t any sales, there aren’t any reviews, there’s no income, when I’m convinced everyone hates my writing. And I wonder if any of it was worth it. So, I take a break, sometimes for a week or so, sometimes for an extended period of time. I get in a funk and swear I am never going to write again. Then one of my characters pokes me in the side and says, “What about me? You are my only chance for my story to be told.”

I rally and put all my disappointments out on the burn pile. I vent a little, ramble a little, get back on the horse and try again.

There you have it. As all the classical writers have done, I’ve bared my soul to the world (or at least to the six people reading this blog)

I can’t say what I accomplished as far as goals over the last two weeks, and I’ll be honest – I have no idea what I might get done in the next week. But I will continue to string some words together and answer the call when those characters poke at me.

Have a good week. Chris  
I did a deep clean of my writing space yesterday. Maybe that will help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment