Sunday, March 16, 2014

Goals in a row.

On a personal level, this week was even worse than last. Somehow or other I did ok on goals. I think it is the lack of sleep. I can only lay wide awake in bed so long before I get up and piddle around on the computer.

I. READING
A. Weekly goal
1. Read five other blog posts a week.  Yes.       
2. Read ten hours a week in one of the books I am reading.  Yes.
B. Goals for the Round                           
1. Have finished reading five books.  Yes, I have read five books. Whoo-hoo for me. Good thing I am on Goodreads so someone keeps track of me.  

II. WRITING
A. Weekly goal
1. Work on something five times a week.     
a. Work on “The Early Life of Jesus in 40 Days”, the second book in the Bible Stories in 40 Days series. No.   
b. Write on my novel. Yes, I have finished writing chapter 14. My goal is a chapter a day, so I am pretty close to the mark.  
c. Write my blog posts. No. I will use that continuing stomach flu as my excuse.
B. Goals for the Round.  
1. Have finished the first draft of “The Early Life of Jesus in 40 Days”. No. I did hear from my publisher and he wants this when I am done with it, but he is not putting any pressure on me. Maybe he should.
2. Have written half of my novel.  No, but even though I changed this in my head to finishing the whole thing, I actually am pretty close to half way there right now.

III. REACHING
A.      Weekly goal.
1. Promote either one of my books on one other site or in person. No, not technically, but I read an excerpt of “A Time for Every Purpose” at writers group on Wednesday. I never know what I can count here or not.    
2. Comment on two other blog posts.  Yes.
3. Research markets for an hour. Yes, I think I found some prospects for some articles and one short story I have lying around.
4. Keep up on social media, responding to all messages.  Yes.
5. Contact one organization about a speaking engagement.  Yes.  One of the women at the writers group helps to set up speakers for a women’s group she is part of, so I told her I would be available for that. She was going to check into it.
B. Goals for the Round
1. Have submitted three pieces somewhere. No.
2. Have booked three speaking engagements or book signings. No.  

IV. PERSONAL
A. Exercise - Continue exercising four times a week, including running on the treadmill.  No, that intestinal infection sapped me. I could barely walk, much less run, without running to the bathroom.
B. Nonprofit - Continue working on Tumaini Volunteers, Inc., applying for tax exempt status by the end of the Round.  Yes, we have applied for tax exempt status. I also posted something to our Facebook page nearly every day this week about our fundraiser this Thursday.
C. Sewing - Finish two projects this Round. Yes, I sewed a pair of curtains and a scrub top for work.


It is nearly the end of the round. I think I am doing ok, but I know some of these goals won’t be met. Others? I think I have a good shot. I just have to keep my ducks in a row (or in a ROW80).


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Lovely progress in spite of being sick. Congrats to you! Like you, I also worry about what counts and doesn't. Thank you for the tip to organize by the round. I shall try that . . .next round! May you have a productive and healthier week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, I am feeling about 92% better. I even did some running on the treadmill tonight. No more excuses for not achieving all my goals in the next week and a half!

      Delete
  2. Any ailment that requires significant time in the bathroom is not good. Have you tried over-the-counter cures (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate, etc.)? Keep yourself hydrated and see the doctor if it goes on longer than a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always figure that whatever is in me needs to come out, so I avoid things like Kaopectate unless the situation is dire. Unfortunately I see doctors every day at work. It is an occupational hazard of working in health care. My boss pretty much seems to think that if I am upright I am not sick.

      Delete
  3. Love seeing how much progress you're making in spite of illness. With teaching, I neglect my reading. I probably need to work more on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's an impressive list of goals you've set for yourself. It sounds like you're making progress despite not feeling well. I hope you're fully recovered soon!

    ReplyDelete