Sunday, October 23, 2016

a mostly red week

Once again I didn’t accomplish much this week. I just don’t know where the days go, how seven of them can fly by so quickly with so little getting done.

I usually work until seven on Monday nights at the day job, but this week I was supposed to get done at five. About ten to five, a co-worker made the benign statement, “I don’t want to work until seven.” Without thinking about it, the following words fell out of my mouth, “I can stay til seven for you.” What is wrong with me?? She asked five times in the following ten minutes if I was sure I wanted to stay and I just kept telling her, “get out of here, don’t worry about me, I usually work late on Mondays, so it is no big deal.” Crazy nut that I am.

Ok, so then Tuesday night after work I had my women’s group at church and Wednesday I went out for dinner with two former co-workers. So, yea, it’s easy to see where last week went. Of course I realize how important it is to spend time with people, so I’m not beating myself up over any of this. Oh, and also Hubby and I took my daughter out to eat Friday night coz she had a bad week. So there went another evening.

So here’s the facts. Green highlight is a goal that is on track, yellow highlight was at least worked on, red letters is a total fail.

1)        Finish writing my current novel, “The Big House”. I only wrote 2,313 words last week, for a total of 14,224 so far since starting this August 21. I haven’t had any writer’s block. When I sit down to write, I could just keep going, but I have to get some sleep, the house has to be cleaned, the hubby needs some attention and everything else that is going on in my life. I don’t know how prolific writers have enough time in the day.  
2)        Work on readying “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” for publication. I talked with my publisher on Friday. Their editor is due to have the first round of edits to me by December 9, so I won’t have to work on my share of the revisions until then. In the meantime, the creative director will be contacting me for my ideas on the cover design. So right now I am waiting on that. Also, by the end of the year, I need to find various outlets where I can do book signings or readings. I have some ideas which I need to research.
3)        Do some editing on my two memoirs, “Pat’s Story” and “Two More Trips To Africa”. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t look at either of them last week.  
4)        Continue posting to my other blog, “The Dino Chronicles” three times a week.  On track, three posts this week. Only one on this blog, but I didn’t include this blog on my goals, sooo, I’m calling it a win.   
5)        Finalize the next trip to Kenya for my daughter’s nonprofit, Tumaini Volunteers.  Didn’t work on it.
6)        Get my body in shapeUm, not this time.   

Right now, I have nothing out of the ordinary on my schedule for the coming week, so no excuses, come next Sunday, I will be all green.

How about you? How are you coming along on your goals? Or are outside forces slowing you down? 

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of those weeks that just soar past like geese on the wing. They tend not to slow me down, though, because I know they feed life, and therefore writing. I tend to build a lot of flexibility into my goals. I started out doing it because, as unschoolers, we need space for spontaneity. As the kids get older and more independent (they're 12 and 15 now), it's translated well to my writing life - there's always something I can fit into the space I've got.

    May next week work better for you, and for your daughter, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shan. Yes, life needs to be full of flexibility and a willingness to adapt to whatever your handed on any given day.

      Best wishes for success on your own goals, and with those teenagers!

      Delete
  2. Don't worry too much about things. I sometimes flunk at my goals. The muse cometh, the muse goeth. Things will get done accordingly.
    World has its moods, and people have their moods.
    On my way to get some drinking water, via jugs of water. My dog barked at one of my cousins, he used a bike a shield against him. He didn't bite him, but my dog didn't like my cousin. good thing that I carry a leash around me all times.
    One of the straps of old canvas backpack was frayed and fell apart. I fixed it by using bits of paracord and a piece that I reused from red dog collar that my dog tore free. I used strong thread that wax coated thread to stitch the crude repairs, and its looks presentable.

    ReplyDelete