Monday, October 19, 2020

BLEAH!

Bleah! That is all I have to say. Last time I posted here, two weeks ago, I was so full of ambition, setting a daunting goal for myself to finish my WIP novel by the end of the year. I know that NaNoWriMo is coming up and others write a novel in the month of November, but realistically, three months isn’t enough for me. Do those people have a life at all?

But, back to the last two weeks. On October 8, my mother-in-law fell down her basement stairs, breaking her hip. She passed away the next day and her funeral was on the 14th. My brother-in-law and his wife spent that entire week at our house, I spent four days helping them clean out her house, and I still worked Monday and Tuesday at the day job that week. I cleaned my house yesterday and went shopping the day before. I am so grateful to have today off, as my last bereavement day. I am exhausted.

You may think I am wonder woman, having accomplished anything on this list of goals, but remember, this was from two weeks ago. Surely, I could have gotten more done in that week before the fall. As it is, green highlight is goal accomplished, yellow highlight is worked on and red lettering is a failure.   

1) My novel, “The Truth Beyond the River.”

a. Promote it somehow. I posted on Facebook that I had copies on hand for sale. Four people messaged me, resulting in the sale of four books, with another person promising to purchase it on line.  

2) My WIP, the novel, “Rewrite the Now”.

a. Write three chapters or 4,700 words. Only one chapter at 1,800 words.

b. Do an evening of research for it. Nope.

3) Other writing.

a. Write an entry in my Covert Corona Chronicles. Yes.

b. Write two posts on my other blog, “The Dino Chronicles”. Posted four times over the two weeks, so yup.

c. Write a poem, because it is poetry month and I haven’t written any in a long time. No. What was I thinking here??

4) Other stuff.

a. Work in the yard.

i) rake the yard. Yes, but not finished.

ii) prep my garden for winter. Yes, but also not finished.

b. Take a walk somewhere other than my yard. Winter will be here soon and I have to get out before it gets too cold. No, lazy me, and there is up to four inches in the forecast for tomorrow night. Yikes!

c. Work on sewing one of my quilts. No, really?

As much as I would like to dive right back in, my brother-in-law and his wife from out of town will be back again this weekend to work on Mom’s house. Ok, I’ll just put this out there – she was somewhat of a hoarder. But I won’t dwell on that here.

Here’s what little I will try to get done this week.

1) My novel, “The Truth Beyond the River.”

a. Promote it somehow.

2) My WIP, the novel, “Rewrite the Now”.

a. Write three chapters or 4,700 words.

3) Other writing.

a. Write an entry in my Covert Corona Chronicles.

b. Write two posts on my other blog, “The Dino Chronicles”.

c. Write a poem, because it is poetry month and I haven’t written any in a long time, and any time I go to a funeral, I come home with thoughts of poems to write in my head.    

4) Other stuff.

a. Work in the yard.

i) finishing raking the yard.

ii) finishing prepping my garden for winter.

b. Finish working at my MIL’s house.  

Sounds like a lot, considering it is Monday already, but I’ll give it a shot. Stay safe and stay healthy.  Chris 

Hubby and me with his mother at her 80th birthday party.
Hubby and me with his mom at her 80th birthday party 

 

4 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss and for your husband's as well. As a new widow of three weeks, I'm there with you in comprehending the impact of such an event. And no, you shouldn't necessarily have found the time in the midst of all that. Writing fiction is more than about time. I've discovered that when I have an overload of drama in my personal life whether my own or that I've taken on via conversations with others about their dramas, I have no bandwidth in my brain or emotions for dealing with the drama in my stories. Journaling and poetry are things I can often still manage as they can serve as release valves for the drama pressure cooker. I start to get scared when I can't write at all because of that pressure cooker.
    Now is the time for patience with yourself.
    Now is the time for being there for your husband and his family. Some priorities are truly Super-Priorities.
    Know that all of this will serve as compost for future stories and poems as the stress level decreases and the new normal settles in.
    Yes, I'm kinda self-lecturing here. I'm still in the fresh middle of my own grief and the drama fallout and only four days ago was a wet mess and no confidence I won't be again. But am hoping my own experience and insight can both be of help to you and to me by having owned it by writing it out.
    May you and your family find comfort in each other and your good memories.
    Love Joy Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I have no words to adequately express my sorrow over your loss. Thank you for your kindness. Hoping that you find comfort and peace as well.

      Delete
  2. So sorry about your mother-in-law, Chris. Hope you can get some time to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete