Saturday, January 28, 2023

A Snippet and Insight

I read this headline on-line this morning: “Critics say Florida aims to rewrite history by rejecting African American studies.” Click this link for the article.

And here’s a snippet from my latest novel.

          “And now, it’s illegal in this country to talk about our ethnicity,” Ellen was the first to sober. “Or about anything which makes us different from each other.”

“Which is why the government has sent us on this stupid mission,” Kimberly replied.

“I wish they weren’t rewriting history this way.”  

Michael laid a hand on Ellen’s arm. “Others may do it, but we aren’t going to rewrite history.”

“That’s right,” Kimberly hadn’t wiped the grin from her face. “But we can rewrite the now.”

The original working title for this book was “Save Our School”. I know. Dumb. But my working title usually is; the words all have to be written before a few stand out and ask to grace the cover.

My next title was: “Rewrite the Now”, which came, obviously from these lines. Much better than the first title, but still not the zinger.

On one of my blog posts about the book a while back, when I was asking about possible covers and titles, one of Hubby’s cousins came up with “Prior to Now”. Love, love, love it. Perfect. Says it all.

When I came up with the name for the town where the story takes place – Prior Gulch – I didn’t plan on using it in the title. I guess it all works out.

So there’s a little book background for you as well as insight into why this story is prevalent today.

Dred Scott and his wife outside the courthouse in St Louis. Have you all read his story? Or has it already been erased from our history books?  

Click this link to order your copy of “Prior to Now”. Once you’ve read it, I would really appreciate your review on Amazon. Thanks a million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment