Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Still Struggling

 My apologies that it has been nearly a month since I posted an update on my latest novel, “Prior to Now.” The technological setbacks have snowballed, and though the e-version is available (despite its imperfections), the print version is still a nightmare.

I’ve lost track of how many versions of it I have uploaded to Amazon and after hours of reviewing each, have still found formatting errors. I don’t remember having any of these problems with the last book, “The Truth Beyond the River.” I think it took two run-throughs for me to be satisfied with it.

Anyway, with any amount of luck, I’ll get the latest copy approved by today or tomorrow and make it available for purchase.  

In the meantime, here’s another excerpt. It’s short, but I share it to remind myself – to remind us all – that we really don’t have that much to complain about.

Emma dressed the injuries of field hands whose backs were covered with fresh wounds on top of jagged scars. She comforted crying babies when their mothers drifted off to sleep, too exhausted to hold them after their exodus. The men and women had marched through woods and fields for several nights in a row, hiding during the day in dried-up river beds or abandoned sheds or in the mire under the feet of lowing cattle in barns.

Click on this link to download the e-book, or maybe, by the time you read this, the print version will be there as well. Chris 

Prior to Now by Chris Loehmer Kincaid


4 comments:

  1. Doesn't it frustrate - have been helping a friend self publish her poetry collection and each proof copy something had happened - was tearing hair our in bucket fulls. All the best that problems are solved:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Finally got it done and it's as good as it's going to get.

      Delete
  2. I think that Amazon changed the tool they used for their .mobi creator. I know that the plug-in I'd used to make Kindle books in Scrivener stopped making acceptable files sometime last summer (acceptable to Amazon at least).

    We all need to remember that some have it worse.... Some have it better too, and we should remember that if only to know there are good things to look forward too. And that as long as there is life there is a chance for change and something better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all these publishing problems are minor when I look at the big picture. I am so blessed to be able to this at all.

      Delete