Sunday, August 27, 2017

Lofty Goals. Or not.

Once again, I did so poorly on my week’s goals that it doesn’t pay to reprint them here. I still do not know what is wrong with me. This seven-month funk should have run its course by now. The antidepressant is helping in some ways, but I still haven’t found my drive. Scrolling through Facebook or mindlessly watching Home and Garden TV continues to suck the life out of me.

Today is our family picnic, at my house, in the rain. We will have to picnic in my living room, all 37 of us! This past week I did wash the windows I needed to do and cleaned up the spare bedroom which has been taken over by Mom’s stuff all year.

Also, I did sign up for two events for our nonprofit, as well as to sell my books. The end of September, my daughter will give a presentation on our work in Kenya, at the clinic where I work. I’ll have my books available for sale there. Then I signed us up for our yearly craft sale the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I’ll have my books there as well, along with all of our Kenyan merchandise.

I think that was about it for the week. Except that I keep forgetting to mention that I continue to post to this blog once a week and to my other blog, The Dino Chronicles, three times I week. I should give myself credit for that, huh?

Once again, I’m going to look forward to the coming week with lofty goals. “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” is to be released on Friday, so I’m hoping to get my copies by then or shortly after. Oh, and there are three reviews of it on Amazon now, with another one promised to post soon.

1)    Send emails to the rest of my contacts regarding the new book and asking for reviews.   
2)    Set up two more book signings.   
3)    Write three thousand words on the new novel.
4)    Pick a better working title for the new novel.
5) Work on two items to submit:           
a) favorite quote and reflection for work calendar, Sept 15 deadline
                        b) poem on aging, Oct 20 deadline
            6) Post three times to my other blog, The Dino Chronicles.
7) Non-writing things to do:
a. Scan a dozen of my mom’s old pictures into the computer.
b. Wash two or three more windows. I only have five left!

With the Labor Day Holiday weekend coming up, maybe I can finally get some stuff done.
Have a good week and safe end to the summer.
  
Some of Mom's stuff cluttering up the spare bedroom.
The spare bedroom looks a lot better now. 


3 comments:

  1. The spare bedroom looks lovely! Re the writing, 3,000 a week sounds difficult to achieve, but 500 words a day for 6 days may sound more achievable. If that goal isn't met, why not bring the daily word commitment down to 400, or 300, or even 250? Words on the page tend to lead to more words on the page. All else seems to go steadily forward. You have many commitments, Chris. Persevere! Enjoy that Labor Day family gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to echo what Beth said, Chris. You've been working at such a high level of activity for so long, I think your body might be saying "ease back, process, refill". And... frankly, Facebook and the like, as opposed to being a place to relax, refill and connect, often drain more from us than not. You may wish to reduce that load more than anything. I (at least) find that my emotional energy goes up a lot when I draw away from social media.

    So... maybe a smaller word count and few less cat memes will make you feel happier and more productive? It's worth a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eden, for the ideas. I am going to give it my best shot. The memes on FB are pretty draining, besides being just plain stupid.

      Delete