Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Shiny Week

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.
Some weeks are tarnished, some shine like gold.

Not quite how the song goes, is it? But those words came to me this morning as I thought about writing this post. It hasn’t been the best week, I’ve had more green other times, but somehow, waking up this morning, I feel like the week has been shiny. See if you agree.

Here are last week’s goals. Green highlight is goal accomplished, yellow highlight is goal at least worked on, red lettering is goal not even attempted.  

A. WRITING
1. Finish polishing the proposal for “The Truth Beyond the River”. Yes.     
2. Write three posts for the “Dino Chronicles”. Yes.
3. Go through “The Truth” again, as I am sure there are still typos. Done through chapter 16.
3. Work on the next project, whether it is the one I started to outline last week or one of the four others I have started previously. Nope.
4. BONUS. Wrote a piece for the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. The topic was the best advice I’ve ever received.

B. REACHING
1. Read five other blogs and comment on three of them.  Read six and commented on four.  
2. Send that polished proposal to that chosen literary agent. Yes. I emailed it off on Thursday morning. Now the waiting begins, as I continue researching other agents and further polishing that proposal, making it shine.   
3. Promote “Where the Sky Meets the Sand”. Let’s work on this some more.  
            a. Message each new LinkedIn contact about it. Nope.
b. Ask three followers to write a review. I asked one person, who got back to me (at least) and said they were too busy right now, but one day.
4. BONUS. Submitted that piece to Chicken Soup for the Soul. The deadline was February 28, and I had just found out about it. 

C. READING
1. Read the daily assignment in “Today’s Light” Study Bible. Yup.
2. Daily read “Paw Enforcement”. Get ¾ of the way through it. Am currently about half.  Easily over ¾ done.
3. Read the daily devotion in “Jesus Calling”. Yup.   

D. REMAINING
1. Physical
a. Do something physical twice every day. I skipped a couple days. The ache in my ankle (going on for five years!) is getting worse. I finally made an appointment with a foot doctor. I’d seen an orthopedic surgeon for it a year or two ago who told me there was nothing that could be done about it. We had thought it was Achilles tendonitis, but xrays showed a bone spur hitting that Achilles. I’ve tried all conservative treatment and the surgeon didn’t recommend surgery.
b. Cut back on sweets. Yes. We had a potluck at work on Monday and I gained two pounds in one day! So I really cut back the entire rest of the week and got those pounds off.
c. Increase water intake.  Yes, I think so.
2. Home fires
a. Snap pictures of two dozen old photos.  Yes, but half of them were from when I was in college. See the one below.
b. Finish yet another small sewing project I started yesterday.  The project was sewing potholders. A pretty small project indeed.
                                                                                                 

                                                               

a. Work on the procedure manual. Nope.
b. Post a blurb on all our social media. Nope.

And here’s what’s up for the coming week.  

A. WRITING
1. Review the proposal for “The Truth”, tweaking it as needed.    
2. Continue going through “The Truth” fixing typos and other glaring mistakes, addressing 15 chapters.
3. Write three posts for the “Dino Chronicles”.
4. Decide definitely for sure on the next project.  

B. REACHING
1. Read five other blogs and comment on three of them.  
            2. Continue researching other literary agents.  
            a. Message each new LinkedIn contact about it. 
            b. Ask three followers to write a review.
            c. Share a blurb about it on Twitter.
4. I almost forgot. The publisher of my three other books is offering them for free as an electronic download for four days next week, so I will promote that on all my social media.

C. READING
1. Read the daily assignment in “Today’s Light” Study Bible.
2. Finish reading “Paw Enforcement”.   
3. Read the daily devotion in “Jesus Calling”. 

D. REMAINING
1. Physical
a. Do something physical twice every day.
b. Cut back on sweets.
c. Increase water intake. 
2. Home fires
a. Clean my office. It is positively abysmal.   
b. Get caught up on organizing all those old pictures I have dumped into my laptop.
a. Work on the procedure manual.
b. Post a blurb on all our social media.

How about you? Was your week shiny like gold? Or tarnished? Don’t despair! Look at the picture below if you think your life is a mess. 
Speaking of an abysmal mess! No, this is not my office. This is my dorm room from back in the day, one of those old pictures I scanned. Don't you love the pizza in the window. During a Wisconsin winter, that was how we kept things frozen, as clearly the frig wouldn't do it. 

6 comments:

  1. Glad you feel this was a good week.I guess how you feel about it is what really matters. Have another shiny week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Maybe the week was a mix of goals achieved and goals neglected, but overall, it is indeed what we make it out to be.

      Delete
  2. I definitely would call this a shiny week! Love the picture from those college days. What did your daughter say? I read recently that Linked In was not as useful as other sites (but just now I can't remember where I saw that). I like the BookDesigner's site for useful strategies that start by defining your audience and where they will be. https://www.thebookdesigner.com/marketing-your-book/ All the best, Chris. Have another beautiful, shiny week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, for the continued support and the link on marketing. I haven't actually found that any social media site is the end-all-end to marketing a book or anything else. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter all seem pretty fickle. I try not to sweat it, just keep plugging away.

      Hope you have a good week too.

      Delete