Sunday, August 30, 2020

the highest point - not really


My brother-in-law and his wife came up Thursday night to spend the weekend. We had a good time, were able to visit and get caught up on life, and took them for a ride to the highest point in our state. Too bad my accomplishments for the week weren't at the highest point. 
(It will be beautiful up there once the leaves change colors in a few weeks)
Even with all of that, I should have gotten more done on this list. Instead it was one of those weeks where I sat down today and thought, “why am I even posting this? I accomplished nothing on this list.”

Yet, here I am, willing to share with you what a failure I am, because, in the words of Scarlett O’Hara, “tomorrow is another day”.

Here's what I had hoped to get done this week and what actually happened. Green highlight is goal accomplished, yellow highlight is worked on and red lettering is a failure.

1)    My novel, “The Truth Beyond the River.
a.     Post a blog about it once this week. Nope.
b.     Market it in some way. Pretty sure I didn’t.
2)    My newest novel.
a.     First, I need to think hard about a better title, even if it is still a working title, it has to be better than “Save Our School”. Nope. Maybe it’s just too soon though. Maybe I need to write some more on it to get a handle on it. On both my previous novels, I changed the working titles several times before settling on the final ones.
b.     Write three chapters. Nope.
c.      Do an evening of research for it. I actually did spend an hour or two watching YouTube videos about the Civil War.  
3)    Other writing.
a.     Finish updating my website. Yes! Finally! This has needed to be done for a long time. Click here to check it out.
b.     Write two posts on my other blog, “The Dino Chronicles”. Nope, didn’t even do this. That is kind of my barometer of a bad writing week. I ALWAYS post to “The Dino Chronicles” twice.
4)    Other stuff.
a.     Continue working on getting the kittens to be friends with the dog and our old cat. The kittens are totally okay with the dog now. The old cat? Haven’t worked on that yet.
b.     Take our company somewhere, showing them some of the sites around our town. Yes.
c.      Go out to my mom’s property. Nope, still haven’t gone out there.

I’m not going to despair, though. I will just keep retyping these goals (or more like copying and pasting them), until I see all green.  

1) My novel, “The Truth Beyond the River.
a. Post a blog about it once this week.
b. Market it in some way.
2) My newest novel.
a. First, I need to think hard about a better title, even if it is still a working title, it has to be better than “Save Our School”.
b. Write three chapters.
c. Do an evening of research for it.
3) Other writing.
a. Write an entry in my Covert Corona Chronicles. I’ve been trying to write something once a week; I need to remind myself to keep on that.
b. Write two posts on my other blog, “The Dino Chronicles”.
4) Other stuff.
a. Work on getting the kittens to be friends with our old cat.
b. Go out to my mom’s property.
c. Work on one of my several quilt projects. I have a co-worker who can make a quilt – start to finish – in one week. Me? I’ve got three started – one from about three years ago. I guess it’s like my writing – it’s so hard for me to stick with one thing and finish it.

With the Labor Day weekend coming up, I feel like I will have more time to get things done. We’ll see how that works out for me.

Have a great week.  Chris

1 comment:

  1. I think you're being too hard on yourself, Chris. After all, socializing, as pleasant as it may be, does take time and energy! And you did manage to squeeze some work on your goals. So yay for that!

    ReplyDelete