Saturday, February 9, 2013

Have you ever stopped on the tracks?

Well, I have once again been doing some soul searching. I think I have come to the conclusion that I need to change the way I keep track of acheiving my goals. I seem to be losing track of things a lot lately and wonder if I need a new system. I hate to switch trains while I am already on one track, but I may just have to.

 In the meantime  . . . here is what I think I accomplished this week.


Daily goals –
1-                           write for an hour a day, this could be working on my book, writing articles, short stories or poetry, or writing extra blogs (my assigned posts don’t count) – I have actually returned to my novel, so I believe I worked on that three times this week. 
2-                           market my book or other current project for one hour a day, this could include researching markets for my articles, devotions, or other writing to various markets, as well as keeping my nose to the grindstone of getting my book sold – I always feel like I am cheating here, but who can keep track of this? Um, specifically, I sent my book out to two charities that I mention in the book. It would be cool if they could promote it in some way. I worked on my presentation that is the end of February. Oh, yeah, and this is exciting. I got an e-mail from a writer friend asking me to speak at her writer's conference. That was ubber exciting. So, I have started working on that. I also added to my media kit. (Do all writer's have one of those? Should I expound on that some time?). So, since I count five things that I did, I am going with five points. 
3-                           comment on one other blog – I noted five blogs that I commented on. And actually this morning, I got caught up on a friends blog and com'mented on like five posts right there, but I am not even going to count all of those. 

Weekly goals –
1-     post to Dino Chronicles three times a week – three points.
2-     post to Writing What I Can When I Can twice a week – two points.
3-     work on my social networks, by adding to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Goodreads and Pinterest each once a week – Ok, I did another stupid thing today; I joined another social network. Shelfari. I know, what am I thinking? I am thinking that I will see if it takes off without me doing any more work on it, coz seriously, and I just mentioned this last time, who can keep up on all of that. Anyway, so I added to three established networks and joined another one, so I would say four points. 

Monthly goals-
1-     Do research on my novel – five points per month - sorry, nope
2-     Submit something somewhere – five points per month - sorry, no again

Year-end goal-
          Finish my novel – 1000 points! Sure, right. Not quite.

Ok, so 22 points for the week. And counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment