Sunday, November 3, 2013

Take time to connect with old friends.

I attended a daylong seminar yesterday for my profession of medical assisting. That bit into the goals, but I still did ok. It was also good to get out of town and reconnect with old friends. 

I. READING –
A. Daily goal
1. Read two other blog posts a day. Yes.       
2. Read in at least one of the many books I am reading. Yes.     
B. Goals for the Round
1. Have finished reading five books. Ok, I have finished reading two, and am half-way through “The Glass Castle” and three-quarters way through “Out of Mormonism”.  

II. WRITING
A. Daily goal
1. Work on something for two hours a day. No, not even close. 
a. Work on “The Early Life of Jesus in 40 Days”, the second book in the Bible Stories in 40 Days series. I think I may have looked at it last Sunday but that is it.  
b. Write on my novel. I have decided that I am not doing NaNoWriMo. Who decided to do this novel writing challenge in November in the first place? It is probably the third busiest month, following December and whatever month in the spring (April or May, but sometimes not until June around here) that the weather turns nice. I think it is more realistic for my schedule to challenge myself in January.
c. Write my blog posts. Yes, I got these done this week, posting a day late on my Thursday post.   
B. Goals for the Round.
1. Have published “The Christmas Story in 40 Days”. The first print copy arrived in my mail box on Thursday. I showed it off to eight or ten people at work and another six or seven at my conference yesterday. Got wonderful feedback, so I emailed my publisher and said start the presses. I should have my supply in about ten days.
2. Have finished the first draft of “The Early Life of Jesus in 40 Days”. Umm, not yet, but I might be able to still do this. I think I have 28 days started.
3. Have finished my novel.  Umm, no, see A1b above.

III. REACHING
A.      Weekly goal.
1. Have promoted either one of my books on one other site or in person. Hmm? I know that I did something, I must have, right? Just can’t remember what other than going crazy annoying my social media network that the book is finished. Also, as noted above, I promoted the book in person (and added that to this goal) and half a dozen people want to buy a copy as soon as I have extra for them. So I think that counts.   
2. Comment on two other blog posts. Yes.  
3. Research markets for an hour.  NO.   
4. Keep up on social media, responding to all messages.  Yes.  
5. Have contacted one organization about a speaking engagement. Yes, I emailed a fellow blogger who also hosts a radio show. She did get right back to me that her calendar is full until the first of the year. At least I heard back.  
B. Goals for the Round
1. Have submitted three pieces somewhere.
2. Have booked three speaking engagements or book signings.
  
IV. PERSONAL
A. Exercise
1. Continue to run outside as weather permits or on the treadmill at least three times a week. I ran twice on the treadmill. I even tried to get my dog to run on the treadmill. At least he doesn’t freak out being on, but he just doesn’t understand that he needs to stay on it and run instead of running up and over the frontend. He tries to make his mommy happy.    
2. Continue exercising three times a week. I think I exercised three times, twice for sure.  
B. Nonprofit
1. Continue working on Tumaini Volunteers, Inc. I continued posting to our Facebook page at least a couple times this week. I also got the information for another craft show the end of the month.  
                C. Sewing
1. Finish three projects by the end of the year. Natta.   

At my work conference yesterday. Julie and I go waaay back, probably to 1988. She's a sweetie. 

4 comments:

  1. congratulations on book - you are right to be happy - other goals are coming but am intrigued what happened to the 5th book?:)

    there is a monthly writing challenge in June - and it doesn't have so many rules think it's called JuNoWrMo but my memory is not good - I find June a good time a push - all the best on rest of week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am half-way done reading "Sell your book like wildfire". Since I posted on Sunday, I finished "Out of Mormonism" too and will probably start another book on the Kindle today.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your newly published book AND on deciding NOT to do NaNo this year. You could be a NaNo rebel, you know. I heard of this somewhere on the web; it involves setting your own goals. I'm participating in NaNo but have committed to 500 words a day (double my output). So far, so good.

    The inspirational post I'm reading every day before writing is: 'The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.' Pablo Picasso

    May you have a good week . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, for the support. I definitely fall into the rebel category in most of my life. Good luck with your own goals. 500 words does sound doable.

      Delete