Sunday, November 19, 2017

An anticipated failure of a week

As I mentioned last Sunday, I knew this week was going to be busy. Had two combined sales (my books and the nonprofit), one on Wednesday and one on Saturday. Had church service Monday night. Went to a Young Living Oil Party on Tuesday. Had a meeting at church on Wednesday night.

Then Thursday night, things really derailed. We had a murder in my small town. First one since March of 2008. I probably wouldn’t have been so freaked out by it (though no matter what, it sickened and saddened me), except it happened in the house less than a block from my work and pretty much everyone was gone from my end of the building except for the cleaning person and I didn’t know what was going on until I pulled out of the parking lot and drove by all the squad cars. So Thursday night was a total waste, as I made a bunch of phone calls and kept watching and listening for news updates. I slept okay that night, but got up at four am to write a post to my other blog about it and why I feel the way I do about guns. Stressful, stressful, stressful.

And then Friday, my day off, I powered through the house work and got ready for the sale yesterday. Speaking of the sales, on Wednesday the nonprofit did well, but not so well on Saturday. Sales of my books was opposite of that. Most exciting was that I talked to someone from a Bible camp who might want me to speak at a group there.   

So this is what got done on my list. (As usual, green is goal accomplished, yellow is worked on, red is a failure.)
1)    Promote the new book, “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” five times.
a.     Attend the book signing Wednesday. Sold ten books. Thought that was pretty good, then . . .
b.     Attend the book signing Saturday. Sold 19 books!
c.      Promoted those book signings before and after.
2) Write 3,000 words on the new WIP, “Now For Something Totally Different”.  Nope. Not a word.
3) Post three times to my other blog, The Dino Chronicles. Yep.
4) Read five other blogs and comment on three of them. I read three and commented on three.  
5) Non-writing things to do:
a. Scan a dozen of my mom’s old pictures into the computer. Nope, I don’t think I got to any of them.
b. Do four things for the nonprofit, Tumaini Volunteers.
1] Repack all the Kenyan merchandise, re-inventorying it as I go. 
2] Attend the craft sale on Wednesday.
3] Attend the craft sale on Saturday.
Mini-bonus: I sold the twin size bed on Facebook’s Marketplace. Nice to get it out of the basement.

I only work at the day job on Monday and Tuesday this coming week. And granted, Thursday is Thanksgiving, but Hubby is working, so I’m not going to cook and only my two kids will be home. I better get something done during those five days off.

1)  Promote the new book, “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” four times. As much as I know I should keep working on this, maybe it's time to back off. The book needs to start to find its own way in the world. 
2) Write 3,000 words on the new WIP, “Now For Something Totally Different”. 
3) Post three times to my other blog, The Dino Chronicles.
4) Read five other blogs and comment on three of them.
5) Non-writing things to do:
a. Scan a dozen of my mom’s old pictures into the computer.
b. Pick up the spare room in the basement, since the bed's gone. 
c. Work on emptying the spare room upstairs, even if it means putting some of that junk in the room downstairs.
d. Do four things for the nonprofit, Tumaini Volunteers.
The list continues to look much the same. I need to get these things done. And start fresh January 1!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. 
With my lovely daughter, at the sale on Wednesday.
Pretending to sign a book at the sale on Saturday. 


2 comments:

  1. Whoohooo on all the sales!

    Sorry to hear about the murder. That is disturbing and scary. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a pretty good week even with all the busy. Lots of things to be happy for.

    ReplyDelete