Sunday, November 26, 2017

Sure messed up these goals

 The past week, I accomplished a different, yet equally impressive set of goals. It was all about the home-front. I cleaned up not one, but two of the rooms in my house which were complete disasters. I even invited not one, but two people to come stay with me in my new haven. Now, I’m waiting for the night that my hubby’s snoring keeps me awake so I have an excuse to sleep in the new bed. 






This room has had more transformations over the years than Dolly Parton has had facelifts.

Here’s what I did get done last week. Green highlights mean I fully achieved what I set out to do, yellow highlights mean I at least attempted it, red letters mean any attempts were a failure.  

1)    Promote the new book, “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” five times.
a.     Umm, not so much. I found that my publisher is offering the e-version for 99 cents, so I have promoted that on my social media, but that’s really about all. (Not really enough to give myself the full yellow.)
2) Write 3,000 words on the new WIP, “Now For Something Totally Different”.  1,441 words, not even half. Again, does that really rate a yellow?
3) Post three times to my other blog, The Dino Chronicles. Yep, just barely, but I did it.
4) Read five other blogs and comment on three of them. Read six and commented on three.  
5) Non-writing things to do:
a. Scan a dozen of my mom’s old pictures into the computer. Scanned 24 of them.  
b. Pick up the spare room in the basement, now that I managed to remove the bed that was just taking up space. Yes, cleaned it, at least the top layer.
c. Work on emptying the spare room upstairs. Not only did I sell the bed from the basement, I sold the sofa sleeper in the spare room upstairs. I was so ridiculously psyched about it, that I cleaned the entire room. Then I went to the furniture store on Monday and ordered a bed! Got it set up on Friday and am pretty pleased with myself.   
b. Do four things for the nonprofit, Tumaini Volunteers. Only did three.
1] re-organize the art for sale at my daughter’s work. Didn’t have to, coz I guess she did it on her own sometime before I got down there. I guess what matters is that it got done.
2] Confirm our craft sale for December 16.
3] Start advertising for our sale on the 16th.

I sure made a mess of last week’s goals, didn’t I? I mean, I did okay, but let’s try to actually either work on a goal or not. Here we go for next week:

1)    Promote the new book, “Where the Sky Meets the Sand” three times. I know I need to work on this more, but I think I need to take a break til the first of the year.
2)    Promote my two Christmas devotionals. As we begin to cruise into the Christmas season, I may have an easier time getting these sold.
3)    Speaking of the old books, I have only around a dozen of each of the three of them on hand. I should order more from that publisher.   
4) Write 2,000 words on the new WIP, “Now For Something Totally Different”. It’s time to be realistic. I had hoped to be finished with the rough draft by the end of this week and start editing the river story, but I see that is going to have to wait until the first of the year. 
5) Post three times to my other blog, The Dino Chronicles.
6) Read five other blogs and comment on three of them.
7) Non-writing things to do:
            a. Decorate the house for Christmas.
b. Scan a dozen of my mom’s old pictures into the computer.
c. Do three things for the nonprofit, Tumaini Volunteers.

Is the holiday season starting to derail your goals? How do you compensate for that? 

3 comments:

  1. That bedroom is transformational! Love the line about Dolly Parton as well as the specific-ness of your goals for the coming week -- and all that green and yellow. I'm using 'morning pages' on 750words.com to jumpstart my writing, and that seems to be helping, though marketing remains a challenge. Glad you found that lower price for your book. Do you have a newsletter list? Have you looked at MailChimp? Have a great week ahead with even more green and/or yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that has stayed the same in that room for the past 13 years are the bulletin board with my son's scout badges and the plaques for his Eagle. Still waiting for him to get a house so I can nail those things on his wall.
      Thanks for mentioning Mailchimp and a newsletter. I've thought about those things, but haven't had the time to check them out.
      Have a good and productive week.

      Delete
  2. Love your goals! I hereby give you permission to wait until the first of the year to promote your book. You didn't need it from me, but sometimes rest is the thing we need the most. I love how much you do everyday. Go girl, and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete