Sunday, January 17, 2016

Time to Up the Ante

Today I am headed to my daughter’s for a meeting of the nonprofit. We plan on buying the plane tickets for our four volunteers to head to Kenya the end of March to start our first chicken project. We also need to brainstorm ways to raise the $6,000 for the trip. Our newest member, a young man with a degree in film who is going to produce a short documentary of our work, is going to be coming to the meeting to meet us all and find out more about Tumaini. Also a woman who has worked our business plan is joining us. Hopefully with all these newbies it will be a productive and upbeat meeting. Lord knows we need some good news. On top of the nonprofit, my daughter has a list of stressors and I fear she is going to have a nervous breakdown. All I can say is that I taught her to be ridiculously strong and independent, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a curse.  

At least I am getting something done. My goals for last week:

1)         Write 500 words on the second memoir – done, and then some. Wrote 1498 for the week, having written 5896 total.
2)         Blog twice here and three times on the Dino Chronicles – done
3)         Promote my books on social media two times – done
4)         Update the Gofundme campaign for the nonprofit’s trip to Kenya in the spring - yep
5)         Update the nonprofit’s websitedone, but still have to work on it.
6)         Write the letters to donors from 2015 for income tax purposes –done
7)         Start typing up my story “No Body Found” – typed 1540 words.

Though it is good to see all that green, good that I am reaching my goals, I think I need to up the stakes. Obviously this has been too easy so far this Round. So, here is what we are going to try for this week:

1) Write 2,000 words on the second memoir
2) Type 2,000 words on “No Body Found”
3) Blog twice here and three times on the Dino Chronicles
4) Promote my books on social media two times
5) Update the Gofundme campaign for the nonprofit’s trip to Kenya in the spring
6) Update the nonprofit’s website
7) Send out ten letters to prospective donors for our trip in the spring
8) Walk/run on the treadmill three times for 20 minutes each day (I’ve been doing this pretty much since the first of the year, but maybe if I write it down, then I am committed to it.)                   
 I know that’s not upping the ante much, but let’s shoot for baby steps. 
I don't know what this picture has to do with anything, I just thought it was cute. Baby Alice, my kitten, yelling at me. 

6 comments:

  1. Love the pic! And cats can and will yell at their people. ;)

    Nice job getting everything done!! Good luck with your goals for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This picture is one of our cats, taken years ago. When I ran across if this morning, trying to find a picture to post, for some reason I thought it fit.

      Thanks for the support. Best wishes with your goals as well.

      Delete
  2. Hope that meeting with the nonprofit went well. More people = more ideas, more participation, more support, and just maybe, more chickens! I like the specificity of your goals . . . makes it easy to see accomplishments AND to motivate efforts to reach those goals. I am using the numbered list in my offline list but I need more specifics. How do I measure progress when editing? Have a good week, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, the meeting went well. We bought our plane tickets and even have a few hundred dollars left in our account. We have one new member on board and excited to go - our camera man, Matt, who was already filming our meeting. We were thinking we would use the documentary he produces to promote ourselves on social media, but he plans on entering it in film festivals. Just about fell off my chair when I heard that. How cool would that be - not me falling off my chair, but having that kind of exposure.

      I don't know how to measure editing progress. All I can think of is counting pages, but some pages need much more editing than others, right? Best wishes with that.

      Delete
  3. Kudos for hitting your goals ... and upping the ante. All the best in 2016.

    ReplyDelete