Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I think I can, I think I can

I am pretty excited that some of these goals are actually being met. I am starting to think that I can make this. Time to do some highlighting.

I. READING –
A. Daily goal
1. Read two other blog posts a day. I think I did this most days.   
2. Read in at least one of the three books I am reading.  No, I definitely did not do this in the past week. Just too much else going on. I did naturally add more books to my “to read” list.  
B. Weekly goal
1. Do research on my novel. I am still slacking on this one a lot. I just need to get on it.  
2. Start research for my next novel. I will put the pictures at the end of the post. Maybe not genuine research, but certainly inspirational.   
C. Goals for the Round
1. Have finished reading five books. When did this Round start? I may be at three books; I have lost track.  
  
II. WRITING
A. Daily goal
1. Work on something for two hours a day. No, probably not.   
a. Write on my novel. Worked on the novel for a full hour one day.
b. Write my blog posts. Yes, on schedule.
c. Work on paperwork for the nonprofit organization. The daughter set up a Facebook page, so I did a little bit on that.   
B. Goals for the Round
1. Have finished my novel.  Man, I don’t know.   
2. Have finished all of the paperwork for the nonprofit. There’s a chance.

III. REACHING
A. Weekly goal
1. Comment on two other blog posts. I did this.   
2. Research markets for an hour.  I picked up a lot of information on markets at the Green Lake Writers Conference earlier this week.   
3. Keep up on social media, spending not more than a few hours a week on it. Doing OK.    
B. Goals for the Round
1. Have submitted three pieces somewhere. My publisher was at the Writers Conference on Monday. I rode up in the elevator with him and he asked when I would be submitting my next book to him. I told him about my idea for the devotional series. He sounded fairly interested so I hope to email that this week.  
2. Book signing at a local library. Ann and I have been emailing back and forth on this and are getting our presentations together. We are meeting on Saturday to finalize some stuff.  
3. Have survived my speaking engagements at two writers’ conferences. I can cross this off my list. I have survived both speaking engagements on my journey towards publication and have gotten mostly all positive feedback. Lisa, who did the talk with me on Monday, and I have a lead to speak for another writers group.  
4. Set up an author website. I am probably making this a bigger deal than it is. I just need to do it.

IV. PERSONAL (goals by the end of the round)
A. Running
1. Have run in the 5K on July 4. Done.
2. Continue running a few times a week just to improve my time and stay in shape. I am still doing one mile a couple times a week.
B. Family
1. Have settled my mom into better housing. Yes! It is finished! She still has some work to do, but she is in her new apartment. Yeah, Mom!
2. Have planned that vacation with Hubby in September. It’s still just on paper. I need to get those  reservations.  
C. Nonprofit
1. Have submitted all of the required paperwork. We are still waiting to hear about the Articles of Incorporation, then it is on to the next step.    

V. GOALS BY THE END OF THE YEAR
A. Tumaini Volunteers, Inc., has become a 401(c)3 nonprofit organization. I’m thinking still a pretty lofty goal, but we will see.


Here are the pictures which I promised earlier. I have wanted to visit this place since 1975! I had just turned 13-years-old! That is a long goal to hang on to. Man, the stories this ruin could tell. 


Click on these links to learn about where these pictures were taken. 

7 comments:

  1. Ah... research! I love doing it. My problem is knowing when to stop. It is very important that I get the basic facts straight, but not as important that every little detail is mentioned. Some stuff is best glossed over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good to do as much research as you can, to totally understand your setting, characters, the time period, etc. But that doesn't mean you include it all in your story. It just allows you to fully feel where you are.

      Delete
  2. good week alround - some done some not - sounds like most of us :) great pictures - wish lists from childhood? I was so excited every time I managed to cross one off the list - all the best for coming week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Alberta. It feels like I haven't crossed much off my bucket list, but then I have a week like this :)

      Delete
  3. Love the research part of any project. I have a friend who writes to fun her research book habit :D

    ReplyDelete